List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Another binary compatibility question
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-07 18:14:03

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2001 19:45, mosfet wrote:
> > We haven't had one of these questions for awhile, so I figure I'll ask
> > one ;-)
> >
> > I know you can't add new virtual methods. Can you add a new
> > reimplementation of a virtual method in a base class you haven't
> > implemented before?
>
> Yes, but you can't rely that it will be called.
>
> --
> Reggie (reggie@trolltech.com)

Can someone with extreme knowledge about binary compatibility can set up
a page on developer.kde.org about that ? this will be of importance to
application developers as well and become more important with KDE 3
because by then we should have our API so consistent that it doesn't
need major changes and the 3.0 API can be used always by software
vendors even with new KDE 3.x versions.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org