List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: idea for kde
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-07 11:44:39

> As a result, I guess we should have some X files customization
> module as a frontend to write those magic .Xsomething files. Ideas
> welcome.

hehe ... i considered a KConfigXResourceBackEnd for kdm's
configuration long ago ... however, this is not relevant for kdm
anymore, as i'm purging the xresource-style config stuff currently.

but having such an backend might be interesting ... the question is
only, if it combines well with kconfig's view on data. xresources
have a very irregular hierarchy.

also, as a generic note to config file handling: kconfig changes order
and removes comments from files. this is much simpler to implement and
saves resources ... anyway, especially for these hardly readable
xresource files this "destructive" behaviour might be not desirable.
this is (was?) also an issue for the frontends in kdeadmin (like
kinetd, etc.) - but who needs 'em anyway? :)

just my $.02

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.