List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fax/PDF/... integration in KDE print
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-05-06 19:12:01

Hi,

I commited today a new feature in KDE print code: the ability to sent the
print file to a 3rd party program instead of regular printer. You have then
a set of pseudo-printers along with the regular ones. Printing to a pseudo-
printer will start an external program as subprocess. Configuration takes
place in an external XML file which describes these printers with some
options (command line, icon, description, ...). Graphical configuration is
planned but not implemented yet.
I created by default 3 pseudo-printers:
	- a "Print to file" printer which saves PS
	- a "PDF writer" which saves PDF (using ghostscript)
	- a "Send to Fax" printer which starts ksendfax (still to be ported).

As this feature implied code adaptation in some basic classes, it needs to
be tested extensively. So please, have a look and report any problem.

I attached a small snapshot of what the printer list looks like now. I can't
put it somewhere publicly available, so I tried to keep it as small as
possible.

Bye.
Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM