List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Configure tool
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-06 0:04:50

On Saturday 05 May 2001 12:32, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Saturday 05 May 2001 14:40, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > I'm doing this for the users that are lucky enough to use a sensible
> > distro, or a distro that I use.
>
> The vague idea is nice, the explanation you give is wrong. The implications
> can be the worst. KDE was *always* (and I hope it will always be)
> distribution-agnostic.

Well, that wouldn't change, would it. It would be no different than our
platform support, we support all flavours of Unix as long as someone is
willing to do the building and testing, and some coding sometimes.

> This is most remarkable given the quantity of KDE
> developers paid by distributions.
>
> "This is for the users that use the distribution I use" is in clear
> conflict with KDE precepts and rules. And puts up for a sure refusal of
> your code. Now, if you - as I get the *nice* vague idea - will find a way
> to write a generic background (a la /etc/rc.config in SuSE) and the get KDE
> developers to build system interfaces to this background for at least the
> 4-5 most popular linux distros *and* at least Solaris, then all can be very
> successful.

I don't see any fundamental problems with it apart from being it a lot of
work. I guess 90% of all the config stuff is the same for each distro and
with LSB that is most likely to increase.

If there are people that want to work on it, fine, just don't expect me to do
it.

Cheers,
Waldo
--