On Friday 04 May 2001 09:04, Lubos Lunak wrote: > Ok, now questions ( Waldo ? ): > - The most important : May I commit ? ( read : is it ok for KDE2.2 ? ) > - What exactly is kdeinit_shell supposed to do ? Start an application pass the environment and forward stdout/stderr to the terminal. > - kdeinit_wrapper simply starts an app using kdeinit and nothing else, > it's used for things like starting kwin, so it should ignore all the above > described things > - kwrapper ( i.e. what I added ) - my idea is that this will simply make > the app look like it was really started in the console ( as far as possible > ), so it will pass env, tty etc. and do start-app notify etc. > - kdeinit_shell - well, my idea is that this will be simply kwrapper > without all that IMHO unnecessary burden requiring another process - no tty > passing, no signals passing, but it will still do app-starting notify etc. kdeinit_shell is basically the same as your kwrapper, only kwrapper is more complete. > - What else uses kdeinit ? I'm getting a bit lost in the KLauncher/KRun > sources :(. kdeinit_{wrapper,shell} and KLauncher are the only ones who use kdeinit directly. Everything else that uses kdeinit should use it through KLauncher. > Yes, one important thing : I don't see the main reason of this in getting > apps loaded faster and use less memory ( but it counts of course ), I see > all the three things equally important ( kdeinit loading, app-start > notification, start_on_desktop ) Cheers, Waldo -- bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com