On Friday 04 May 2001 20:26, Charles Samuels wrote: > Upon reading the latest article at The Dot, I've come to the conclusion > that we need to write a Generic System Configuration tool. I feared somebody would. > Isn't this the responsibility of the vendors? Yes, and no. Yes, becau= se YES! Definitely! > they're the jerkwads that can't decide on the standard for configuring > these things, but no, because they're a) incompetent and can never do i= t > right and b) we want the best for our users and ourselves. Or at least= I > think we do on point b... ;) a) bullshit b) they know their distribution specifics and changes better than we coul= d=20 ever keep up with > How do I indend to acheive this? We'll be abstracting both the configu= re > system, and the user-interface. and both of these components will be > dlopened. This is to make it possible to have a console version, and a= KDE > version, with the same configuration backend. You want a console versi= on > for only a few specific modules, particularly stuff to configure the X > server ;) Welcome is the other tools, however. Sounds like a linuxconf rewrite. Better forget this, SuSE, Caldera and=20 Mandrake, Redhat are all working on configuration tools. SuSE and Caldera= =20 implement them as kcontrol modules. Both do a pretty good job at it, just= =20 wait for the new versions. Matthias