List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    System Configure tool
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-04 18:26:56

Upon reading the latest article at The Dot, I've come to the conclusion that
we need to write a Generic System Configuration tool.

And I'm now volunteering to kickstart it, despite the fact that I promised to
not :)

But before I begin, I want volunteers to help out.  At least 2 more people
other than myself :)

Isn't this the responsibility of the vendors?  Yes, and no.  Yes, because
they're the jerkwads that can't decide on the standard for configuring these
things, but no, because they're a) incompetent and can never do it right and
b) we want the best for our users and ourselves.  Or at least I think we do
on point b... ;)

How do I indend to acheive this?  We'll be abstracting both the configure
system, and the user-interface. and both of these components will be
dlopened.  This is to make it possible to have a console version, and a KDE
version, with the same configuration backend.  You want a console version for
only a few specific modules, particularly stuff to configure the X server ;)
Welcome is the other tools, however.

First, on app startup, it reads all the .desktop files, and creates the
kcontrol-like tree (and similarly on the console).  If I click on an item on
the tree, it looks for the associated .desktop file, in it, it looks for the
UI front-end that corresponds to the mode of the app (in our case, an X type
frontend).  Then it tries to the backend corresponding to the system, tells
the frontend of the backend to use, and "executes" the frontend.

This method, thereby, allows all backends to have the same user-interface.

Why am I not abstracting the "widgets" as well?  Why should we?  We're
supporting KDE-only, last I checked, this _is_ KDE, and we'll be linking to
Qt anyway, and the added complexity is not worth the benefit.  And this
method will also make it possible to later add auto-generating
user-interfaces.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>