List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       Ben Burton <benb () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-04-30 20:23:29

Hi.  I've written this to a mailing list and to a kivio developer but nobody
has conformed or denied my suspicions.  Basically I believe the reason the
connector tool is no longer working is because libkiviopart.so is no longer
directly linked to /usr/bin/kivio; instead it is being dlopened and as a
result straight_connector.ksp can no longer find symbols it needs from
libkiviopart.so.

I currently package kivio (and koffice) for Debian, and I had a 4/4/2001 cvs
snapshot that worked and the beta1 which does not, and the change I cite as a
possible culprit certainly took place between those two points in time.  It
also fits that fact that the kivio developers are confused, since the change
in question was a koffice-wide modification of makefiles having nothing to do
with kivio specifically.

Below I have included clips from earlier emails I have sent.

Ben.

----------
(sent to kde-devel, Apr 26)

My startup messages show that the dlopen() for the straight_connector plugin
is failing.  I added a statement to output dlerror() and I now have the
following messages on startup:

kivio:    desktopEntryPath=Office/kivio.desktop   library=libkiviopart
kivio: KivioConfig - created
kivio: KivioConfig::KivioConfig() - StencilBackgroundType: 0
kivio: KivioConfig::KivioConfig() - StencilBackgroundFile:
kivio: KivioConfig::KivioConfig() - StencilBackgroundColor: 75 210 255
kivio: KivioPluginStencilSpawner::load() -
/usr/share/apps/kivio/autoloadStencils/straight_connector.ksp is not a dll
kivio: /usr/share/apps/kivio/autoloadStencils/straight_connector.ksp:
undefined symbol: x__12KivioStencil

The last two lines are those of particular interest.  As far as I can tell
(and I quite possibly have no idea what I'm talking about), the library
straight_connector.ksp can't find the symbols from libkiviopart.so.  The last
version of KOffice I compiled worked fine; this was a snapshot from 4 April.
I notice that since then the lib*part libraries have moved from /usr/lib to
/usr/lib/kde2 and appear now to be dlopened instead of directly linked.
Perhaps this relates to the cause of the problem?

----------
(sent to lndshark@speakeasy.net, Apr 26)

My guess is it is the fact that libkiviopart.so has moved from /usr/lib to
/usr/lib/kde2 and is no longer directly linked to the binary that is causing
the problems, since that is a major change that happened between the working
4 April snapshot and the problematic (for me) beta1.  I tried to hunt for
where libkiviopart.so was being dlopened, but I'm afraid I got lost with my
poor knowledge of kparts/etc.

----------
(sent to lndshark@speakeasy.net, Apr 26)

The makefiles have been touched and retouched.  The change of which I am
particularly suspicious - which I want to say is the cause of the broken
connector tool problems - is from version 1.8 to version 1.9 (April 9):

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/koffice/kivio/kiviopart/Makefile.am.diff?r1=1.8&r2=1.9

--

Ben Burton (benb@acm.org)
http://baasil.humbug.org.au/bab/

Director of Training
Australian Informatics Olympiad Committee

When the gods choose to punish us, they merely answer our prayers.
	- Oscar Wilde