List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: again KCM konsole
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-04-23 20:03:15

Hmmm, I hope the following won't upset too much people, I should have thought
about it one thread before, not it might involve double work... Anyway, I
only just yet read that thread because I didn't have time before, so I have a
valid excuse ;-)

In the previous thread it was decided that the 'Preferred terminal
application' setting would fit best in a KCM Konsole module. But back then we
all assumed the KCM Konsole module itself would be part of one of the already
existing categories like Look&Feel, System or whatever.

But if we create a new group 'Applications' and put all app-specific settings
there (a good idea, IMO) it is not that logical anymore to do so. I'd rather
create a small 'General' or 'Miscellaneous' module under Look&Feel that
specifies the preferred terminal app.

Another setting that would fit there very well are the directory settings
that are currently located under the KCM Desktop module. Although e.g.
AutoStart and Trash appear on the desktop they are essentially general parts
of KDE and not specifically tied to the desktop if you ask me.

Those two settings are at least enough to justify introducing such a page,
and looking a bit harder in KControl probably gives more settings that are
better of there.

Next, put the settings for Konsole (without the preferred terminal app) under
an 'Applications' category as was suggested, next to any other KDE app's
settings. That makes KControl a comfortable platform for sysadmins to
configure all apps without needing to start them all.

Just my 2 cents,

Martijn