List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Are there any plans to create a CVS module for plugins ?
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-19 6:37:30

> responsible for this package.  However, I cannot see how this is going to
> benefit the user who just wants to say get one of the konqueror plugins ?

It doesn't because  it's the wrong question. This is going to benefit those
people who aren't interested in the konqueror plugins which are only optional.

> complaints by users about upgrading KDE and the reason I was asking for

Having only a little number of packages is also the reason why KDE is
so successful. dozens of tiny packages would be harder to install.

> putting all the io-slaves into one package on its own and asking user to
> download it separately.  For example, kdelibs can come only with the file
> io-slave and all the others will be packaged into two other kioslave
> packages, kioslave-basic and kioslave-extra or some similar name.  Then we
> can put ftp, http, pop, man, help and any other io-slaves to be used by

I'm quite sure that more than 90% of kde-users want ftp, http, pop and
probably even  man and help. So it makes no sense to distribute them
as a seperate package.

> most people into the basic package and remaining ones will go into the
> kioslave-extra package.

kioslave-extra = kdeaddon/kioslave-extra

> fixes in io-slaves or plugins or new icons or wallpapers etc etc.  Anyways,

I'm not really sure if putting themes, wallpapers and sounds into kde-addon
is a good idea. Additional Wallpapers, themes and sounds will certainly take
up to several Megabyte and provide "only" some additional eyecandy.
I think it would be bad if the user would have to be forced to
download several MB of pixmaps/Sounds just to get some
extra kB of functionality. That's also the reason why I explicitely proposed
to have _two_ additional modules: kde-plugins (for additional kioslaves,
filters, plugins etc.) and kde-artwork (for additional themes, icons,
wallpapers, sounds, screensavers).

Greetings,
Tackat