On Saturday 14 April 2001 00:54, Antonio Larrosa Jiménez wrote: > El Vie 13 Abr 2001 01:42, Richard Moore escribió: > > Hi all, > > > > I've got a first hack of alpha blending with the render extension > > working. Using Render means that the blending can be hardware > > accelerated, so ultimately I think this should replace the current client > > side blending we use for icons etc. for now though, this is just a > > prototype. It will not be ready for the 2.2 alpha. You can grab the > > example sources from > > http://www.ipso-facto.demon.co.uk/development/render/ I've also put a > > couple of screenshots there. To comppile the example extract it below > > into a standard KDE app template (because I didn't include the configure > > scripts etc just the Makefile.am). > > I thought about implementing that by myself some time ago (after doing the > client side blending), but then I saw that Qt 3.0 will do that by itself > (and it already does in the snapshots) so I think there's no need to > implement XRender based blending in kdelibs (in fact, the current classes > for alpha blending should go away when we change to Qt 3.0 as I suppose > that Qt already implements a client-based blending when X11 doesn't have a > Render extension) I suppose Bradley could correct me if I'm wrong. You are wrong. Client side alpha blending is a mess, and _way_ to slow (it requires 2 round trips to the Xserver). We can't really add that to Qt. Qt will support alpha bending on platforms that support it (meaning XFree-4.x at the moment), but it will fall back to simple masking based on aplha values on older platforms. I think this is the more reasonable behaviour as everything else would just give the impression of Qt/KDE getting very slow. This merely due to the fact that once a feature is available, people will start using it without thinking about the consequences it may have on older hard/software. Regards, Lars > > Sorry, > > Greetings, > > -- > Antonio Larrosa Jimenez > KDE Core developer - larrosa@kde.org > SuSE Labs developer - larrosa@suse.de > http://perso.wanadoo.es/antlarr > KDE - The development framework of the future, today.