List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2alpha1 planned for this week!
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-04-09 22:35:48

[Sorry for replying to this list, it's the only one I'm subscribed to,
 and it's quite impossible to reply to the ones that I'm not.]

Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org> wrote:
> For this week KDE 2.2alpha1 is planned to happen. For that to be
> successfull I would like to ask everyone to make sure that KDE
> compiles on all platforms.

kdelibs/kdecore does not currently compile on my platform, but I am
not sure of the best way to fix it as it involves Makefile and network
lib issues.  I have been playing around a bit but I don't think anyone
will accept the kind of patches I'm coming up with.  :)

Any suggestions on the best way to approach this?  Explicitly defining
HAVE_BROKEN_GETADDRINFO only causes conflicts when netsupp.cpp is
compiled.  Also, and this seems relevant, the Makefile stuff says:
"Don't check for getnameinfo and freeaddrinfo. If getaddrinfo is
there, so are those two."  While I do have getaddrinfo and freeaddrinfo,
I can't seem to find getnameinfo.

I'm running Debian/Slink which has libc-2.0.7.so.  So far KDE has
compiled and worked fine on this platform.

Okay, so the first level compile error:

In file included from kextsock.cpp:54:
ksocks.h:112: warning: `class KSocks' only defines a private destructor and has
no friends
kextsock.cpp: In function `static int KExtendedSocket::resolve(struct sockaddr *, \
ksocklen_t, class QString &, class QString &, int = 0)': kextsock.cpp:1025: \
`NI_MAXHOST' undeclared (first use this function) kextsock.cpp:1025: (Each undeclared \
identifier is reported only once kextsock.cpp:1025: for each function it appears in.)
kextsock.cpp:1025: `NI_MAXSERV' undeclared (first use this function)
kextsock.cpp:1029: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[1]: *** [kextsock.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/archives/dyn/kdelibs/kdecore'

Fixed this by explicitly defining missing NI_*:

.libs/kextsock.o: In function `KExtendedSocket::resolve(sockaddr *, unsigned int, \
                QString &, QString &, int)':
.libs/kextsock.o(.text+0x2034): undefined reference to `getnameinfo'
.libs/kextsock.o: In function `KExtendedSocket::strError(int, int)':
.libs/kextsock.o(.text+0x243f): undefined reference to `gai_strerror'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libkdecore.la.closure] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/archives/dyn/kdelibs/kdecore'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Thanks,
Navin.