List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: please comment: kdm control module
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-04-05 16:26:36

> > AFAIK the kdesu dialog should be shown only once, because the password
> > is cached for a while. Perhaps not... you might want to ask on
> > core-devel about that point. I would hope someone will answer that :)
>
> I am not so shure if this is a good idea -- typing in the root password is
> always an alarm sign: "Now you act as an administrator, and what you are
> doing might possibly affect other users.", and it should make people think
> twice about what they are doing.

that's my concern too.

there was already the suggestion, that the "System" menu should be
cleaned of non-root tasks (e.g., "Session Manager", which i put under
"Look & Feel" in the first place). this could be extended in so far,
that the whole submenu is "rooted" at once:
a) spawn a separate kcontrol with an clear title.
b) highlight the the whole submenu in, say, pale red (yes, this looks
   ugly).
the "modify" button would have to go away from the bottom of the
separate modules and become part the main window.
but this idea has a problem: what about kcmshell? it would be _really_
bad, if one had to invoke two (or more ...) separate instances to
access the whole kdm setup (concurrent access to the same config file
... ugly stuff).

this sort of means, that the whole kdm setup _has_ to be in one
module ... any alternative to nested tabs (except from a major
reorganization of the kcontrol architecture)?

btw,
- the "&Help" hotkeys from the menu and the button at the bottom
  bite each other. also, there are all in all three "help" fields -
  this is not only confusing, but also eats all interesting hotkey
  letters. :)
- the "Release: %s" below "System: %s" in the splash is confusing ...
  it should read "System: %s %s" or at least "System release: %s" -
  otherwise it's not clear, what the "Release" applies to.

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.