List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QDom as an alternative to KConfig?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-02 19:47:43

On Monday 02 April 2001 09:30, aleXXX wrote:
> On Sunday 01 April 2001 02:38, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Son, 01 Apr 2001, David Faure wrote:
> > > understand for an intermediate user that looks into a file, and easy
> > > to read. It happens quite often that to fix a problem we tell users:
> > > remove this key from that file, or add that key there. Of course the
> > > real solution is to have a GUI around everything, but in some cases
> > > it's handy to be able to go into a file and fix it.
> >
> > One word: global registry in XML. cached in a shared memory segment this
> > should also cure the KConfig is (potentially) slow problem ?
>
> I think kconfig is quite at maximum speed as it is now, I don't see a way
> to make it still faster. What makes it slow is that *every* app parses
> several config files on startup: global kapprc, local kapprc, local
> kdeglobals, local kdestylerc, global kdebug.areas, global kdebugrc, local
> kdebugrc,
> index.desktop files of all icon themes (on my system two).
> This makes 9 (!) config files for every app to parse, if parsing one config
> files takes 0.01 seconds (I think this was the number on my system,
> K6/200), we have spent already 0.1 seconds only parsing config files.
> Maybe something could be done about the files which are parsed by every
> app: kdebugrc, kdegloabls, kstylerc, index.desktop of the icon themes.

I have been looking into providing some kind of cache for the icon themes,
but I haven't been able to achieve any substantial gains there yet.

(Well, kconfigtest.cpp, which I used as test case, has become faster after I
made changes so that it no longer creates the iconloader, but that only
speeds up applications that don't use icons, so that doesn't help too much)

I can provide you with a somewhat functional patch though if you're
interested in that.

Cheers,
Waldo
--