List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QDom as an alternative to KConfig?
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-04-02 16:30:30

On Sunday 01 April 2001 02:38, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Son, 01 Apr 2001, David Faure wrote:
> > understand for an intermediate user that looks into a file, and easy
> > to read. It happens quite often that to fix a problem we tell users:
> > remove this key from that file, or add that key there. Of course the real
> > solution is to have a GUI around everything, but in some cases it's handy
> > to be able to go into a file and fix it.
>
> One word: global registry in XML. cached in a shared memory segment this
> should also cure the KConfig is (potentially) slow problem ?

I think kconfig is quite at maximum speed as it is now, I don't see a way to
make it still faster. What makes it slow is that *every* app parses several
config files on startup: global kapprc, local kapprc, local kdeglobals, local
kdestylerc, global kdebug.areas, global kdebugrc, local kdebugrc,
index.desktop files of all icon themes (on my system two).
This makes 9 (!) config files for every app to parse, if parsing one config
files takes 0.01 seconds (I think this was the number on my system, K6/200),
we have spent already 0.1 seconds only parsing config files.
Maybe something could be done about the files which are parsed by every app:
kdebugrc, kdegloabls, kstylerc, index.desktop of the icon themes.

Bye
Alex