List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QDom as an alternative to KConfig?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-31 23:54:21

On Sunday 01 April 2001 00:41, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> I think KNewsTicker's lists of news sources and filters are a similar case, a
> list of items, each having various properties. I personally prefer to store
> "flat" (i.e. unstructured/non-nested) config data in a KConfig object for
> exactly the advantages you mentioned but as soon as we're dealing with lists
> of non-primitive items (e.g. structs) QDom looks cleaner and easier to me.

Out of interest, what's in that struct and how are the structs organized
one with the other ? Looking at KNewsTicker's settings, I can't see something
very complex (but maybe it's not committed yet ?) .... :)

You mention below news sources and filters... Hmm. Two lists of groups
in the main group, and then one group per news source or filter, seems to
be a working solution. Ugly or not is a very subjective matter ;-)

My point is that it's not an "infinitely nested" structure like a tree
(which definitely requires xml).

> In case of KNewsTicker, I have to deal with both, simple (colors, font etc.) and
> structured (news sources, filters) data and having a KConfig file and a
> QDom-based XML file simultaneously is almost as ugly as storing the
> structured stuff in the KConfig file IMHO.

Not necessarily. Konqueror's colors & fonts are in a kconfig,
and the bookmarks in an XML file, and that's not ugly IMHO ;-)