List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new IDE for a new milleneum :-)
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-03-31 21:08:50

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > The core application: a kwrite-based editor and a khtml-based
> > documentation browser.
>
> Does this mean that you won't be able to use a generic KPart editor in
> the next KDevelop?  I've been saying for quite some time now that as
> soon as KDevelop allows for any KPart editor to be used AND kvim
> works, I'll switch to using an IDE.  Now it looks like that won't
> happen? :-(

Well, it doesn't necessarily mean this. As I said, the development
in HEAD has suffered a lot from the wish to solve all problems at
once and make everything as general as possible. It has turned out
that this way of development didn't work, so my first priority is
to make sure that we have an IDE that *works* and postpone the
loftier goals until later.

An interface for a text editor is surely nice and obviously the
right thing to do in the mid term, but the existing kwrite part
has some problems (as I wrote last week), and it was straight-
forward to just include the kwrite sources.

Bernd.