List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Default goodies Was: Re: Fwd: Re: New QT tear-off menus
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-03-29 17:21:21

> >   I've heard many people criticise the fact that the hide buttons are
>
> I have been on quite a few linux-expos now and have met several
> thousand people during these events. Also I have been
> on quite a lot of lists and newsgroups. Up to now I haven't seen
> _any_ significant number of people  asking for removing this very
> handy feature by default.
> Actually I know quite a _lot_ of people who love the  hide-buttons and
> use them a _lot_. Judging from experience it's bad to turn such
> a useful feature off by default as people won't find out that this
> feature exists and won't know about it at all (At Cebit one of the
> highlights of KDE 2.1 was the text-preview and most KDE 2.1-
> users didn't even know about it as it was turned off by default.
> Obviously none of them would have ever got the idea of turning them
> on unless they were told about that feature.)

   I agree that most of the goodies should be turned ON by default - and
maybe adding tips and stuff on how to turn them off. Anyhow, if it annoys
somebody, he will have an impetus to go and find how to turn it off.

   Maybe we can make a list with the good features which are not found out by
95% of the users, because they are turned off and/or have an unhandy
activation.

  I would put here:
  -the multi session support in konsole in KDE 1.1
  -the internet keywords
  -the virtual filesystems (audiocd:/ and friends).

   and I am sure there are many others in different applications.

             Lotzi