Am Donnerstag, 29. März 2001 23:37 schrieb Neil Stevens: > On Thursday 29 March 2001 01:16 am, Stephan Kulow wrote: > > I don't see the reason why we should have a media player and a > > lightwight media player. > Hi, I would suggest to put both into kdemultimedia. Kaboodle is really very nice (especially for embedding) and would give the users more choise. Whats the problem ? Noatun really is an other class of app. Noatun is the KILLER player and Kaboodle is just a small fast thing for webpages and a quick song. cu Christoph > OK, here's the long version of why Noatun and Kaboodle are different apps: > > The relationship between Noatun and Kaboodle is much like that between > KWord and KWrite, or Pixie and KView. Superficially they seem to do the > same thing, but the two apps are designed to be used in different ways. > > Noatun is a good music player: It's set up to have you load all your > files in a playlist, turn on some effects or not, and just let it run > all the time. Noatun works really well in one's session, because once > you load a playlist, you don't ever have to load it again. It can just > run and run and run. > > If I run noatun as a music player, and have my hand-tuned playlist all > set, I won't want to use noatun for clicking on files in KMail or > Konqueror. It'll mess up my playlist. That's a tradeoff. > > I had thought about this for some time, but it wasn't until Kaiman was > gone that it became more than a theoretical concern. I saw two > solutions: one is to have noatun work in two modes. The other is to > just make a separate app out of the new mode. > > Someone who only uses media files in one way may not need both Noatun > and Kaboodle. One or the other will suffice. But playing background > music is a task quite different viewing a movie. mpeglib might not be > ready for this until after KDE 2.2, but eventually Kaboodle is going to > be able to play videos just like aKtion does - with the video embedded. > > OK, that's one argument, and that was my primary motivation for writing > Kaboodle. However, several other advantages have fallen out. First, it > became obvious that making a KPart plugin out of Kaboodle would be very > useful. Nikolas did it, and it seems to me he did a good job of it. > > Second, I've had people tell me that while Noatun (and arts) uses more > cpu time than they would like, Kaboodle's cpu use is "like xmms." I > think this is because of all the aRts infrastructure that Noatun sets > up, in order for the effects, visualizers, and volume control to be > possible. If the difference between Noatun's and Kaboodle's cpu load > while playing is that big a deal to people on low-end machines, it seems > to me that it can only be beneficial to include both. > > Even Charles thinks that Kaboodle would be better for associating with > WAV files than Noatun, and he thinks Noatun can do everything. :-) -- | | / / - get an edge in editing - | | / / »»»» GET KANT «««« | |/ / a fast and capable multiple document, | \ multiple view text editor for KDE | |\ \ | | \ \ http://devel-home.kde.org/~kant