List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: KDEDB (Re: Oracle support in kdedb)
From:       Mike Richardson <mike () quaking ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-29 19:00:25

On Thursday 29 March 2001 16:31, David Faure wrote:
> Ok, it seems I misunderstood.
>
> >On one hand, Qt 3 is arriving with DB support.
> >On the other hand, we have kdedb now, but the author (Alessandro),
> >and theKompany in general, seem to indicate that they don't intend
> >to maintain it in the future.
>
> Sorry if the wrong impression was given.  Pradu just doesn't have time
> right now, we fully intend to spend time on it, but I've got Pradu backed
> up on other things.  We have also talked with TrollTech about the DB
> support in Qt 3, and it is not clear that it will replace KDEDB at this
> stage.

Maybe someone pay a visit to TT with a few big blokes with those spikey
baseball bats and extract some information :-)

I think there are two separate issues here.

Firstly, the actual database interface; should TT provide a set of classes
that do the Right Thing(TM) then I would expect that they would be what we
should use - presumably they will maintain them.

Secondly, there is the issue of the higher level interface, meaning stuff
like setting up and storing database configurations (eg, name X maps to
server S, user U, password P, etc). My guess would be that TT aren't so
likely to do so much here, and anyway, you'd want to make the dialogs and
such KDE compatible.

So I think that KDE-DB isn't going to go away, though the extact plugins
might change a lot.

Mike

--
mike@quaking.demon.co.uk