List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: New QT tear-off menus
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-29 17:52:05

> Solving clashes is severe, indeed. What should it do? Simply override the
> previous one? I guess so.

Yes.

> The fact that settings are not saved is IMO a feature. Those on-the-fly

Yes, the Gimp does the same. It doesn't save the shortcuts.
Making this a solutions which provides shortcuts temporarily
would prevent clashes.

> keybindings are not meant to be stored, they are temporary. Users shouldn't
> be able to destroy their application settings forever with it.

Exactly!
Still I'm currently able to associate multiple menuitems to _one_ key.
Is it meant to work like that? Doesn't make sense to me as there
are quite some options which exclude the possibility to execute all of
them by pressing one key at once.

> In special applications, such as kicker, we might do the saving. Kicker has
> to do something special  anyway: whenever the menu closes, it has to take
> those shortcuts and turn them into KGlobalAccels.

I think this should work consistent all over the desktop.
Either you make it a feature which only works tenporarily all over the
desktop or you make it permanent (the latter would probably
lead to a lot of clashes) all over the desktop.  But making
it permanent for only some apps rather looks like a bug to me.

Greetings,
Tackat

who likes this feature in Gimp a lot.