List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE Kernel Configurator for kdeadmin?
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-03-28 22:32:54

Hi,

I'm writing kcmlinuz, a KControl module to configure the Linux kernel (like
make menuconfig / xconfig but with a KDE GUI). Current sources are available
from http://malte.homeip.net/kcmlinuz.tar.bz2 and a screenshot is at
http://malte.homeip.net/kcmlinuz.jpg
The kcontrol library is currently commented out in Makefile.am, so make all
won't work, to have a look at it, run make check && ./linuztest. Just extract
the tarball in some KDE dir, like kdeadmin, it has no own configure script.
Also make sure to change the hardcoded paths in main.cpp (there's also one in
lexer.l, but that should work unless you have the kernel sources in a
different place than /usr/src/linux/, run make parser if you changed lexer.l)

My question now is if this would be something to include into kdeadmin and if
so, if it should be enabled on Linux systems only (the code compiles and runs
on any platform so in theory one could use it on any UN*X box to configure a
kernel of which the sources are NFS mounted or just sit in some directory).
Of course, I'd remove any hardcoded path before the import and also add the
buttons needed to load / save alternative configurations etc.
-Malte