List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: How to distribute kdedb plugins
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-28 20:57:05

On Wednesday 28 March 2001 12:19, George Staikos wrote:
> > kdelibs v2.2 (including kde-db)
> > kde-db-mysql (the mysql plugin)
> > kde-db-posgres ...
> >
> > This is what actual distros do, I think...
>
>    And the distros are going to install Oracle, DB2, Informix, etc and link
> KDE against them?  Somehow I doubt that....

Well, that's the idea of a distro isn't it? They compile software for you :-)

> It's much better if a user can
> easily build these without downloading all of kdelibs source.

Yes, I agree with that. Instead of waiting for distros to make independent
packages of it, I think we better do that ourselves. I guess that also
applies to other stuff with exotic dependencies like e.g. kpilot.

For our ftp-site I then suggest the following layout:

<kdelibs>
<kdebase>
<...the other 10 base-packages...>
i18n/<..subdirectory with all i18n-packages..>
addons/<..subdirectory with stuff that has exotic dependencies..>

And hopefully packagers can follow this same layout for rpm's and the like
then.

Cheers,
Waldo
--