List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kcontrol patch #1
From:       Tom Hoferek <yoamwmvs () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2001-03-28 16:02:04

Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

> I fail to see how popping-up a dialog box would be a better choice in
> this case...  In fact it makes it is IMHO slightly worse.  Perhaps an illustration
> will my make my view a  bit clearer:
>
> User A needs help filling out or settings some value in a certain control
> panel module ; so (s)he clicks on the Help button and they get a popup
> dialog.  User A then proceeds to  read the info and closes or minimizes
> the popup dialog.  Now if (s)he wants to refer to this help again, (s)he
> would have to bring up the dialog box and repeat the whole process.  This
> would result in at the least three mouse clicks to switch back and forth
> to read this info as needed.

Your illustration assumes that the user closes or minimizes the Help window in the \
proposed model of the Control Center. If it is fair to assume that then it is also \
fair to assume that the user can just as likely switch away from the Help tab in the \
current model. The net result is the same thing -- in the current model the user \
would need to activate the Help tab again, thus there really is no advantage to the \
current model as far as your illustration goes. The user is either reactivating a \
window or a tab. Not much difference.

One of the reasons I feel the proposed model is superior is precisely because it \
separates the primary work area, the Control Center main window, from the Help \
window. The Help window compliments the main window. The user should be able to view \
both of these at the same time in their entirety. In the current model, the Help tab \
takes over part of the main window. That lessens the potential effectiveness of the \
help. When referring to Help, the user should be able to see and use the entire main \
window of the Control Center. That way Help is likely to be more helpful.

Another point in favour of the proposal is consistency. No longer would there be a \
Help tab and Help buttons that do different things. As well, having a separate Help \
window is consistent with the way Help works with other applications. Lets not forget \
that if the Help is on a tab, the Help is forced to fit within a pane that is likely \
sized by the user for navigating the contents of the Control center rather than for \
reading help. A separate window can have a default size that takes advantage of good \
graphic design principles so that the Help is presented with the highest degree of \
legibility that is possible/practicle.

> > Patch #2
> > ------
> >
> > I have removed the Search tab and replaced it with a Search button. The
> > search button then brings up a dialog box. Unfortunately, the process of
> > splitting out the patches has slightly broken this feature in that the
> > search list isn't populated. It worked before and I can't figure out why
> > it doesn't now. Perhaps someone could take a look at it and figure out
> > why.
>
> Similar issue here as well.  The first question that popped-up in my mind is why an
> extra dialog box ? In the least, if you want to get rid of the tab to simplify \
> things why not simply marry the search and the index tabs into a single one ?  Add \
> a search button along with a klineedit (as sketched below) either at the top or \
> bottom of the index tab would allow the user to search for the available entries \
> and when the user selects one, it would be displayed and the the module listing \
> tree would simply have to be synced.  Wouldn't this approach be the easiest path ?  \
> You can completely replace the content list that gets adjusted in the search tab \
> with the completion mode of the lineedit itself which now has a popup completion \
> mode.

Similar response here as well. Usability is improved by separating the main window \
from the Search window. Users should be able to see the entire main window when \
performing searches. Blending the search interface into the main window so that part \
of the main window is taken over reduces the 'learnability' of the Control Center \
interface. It hinders the users' development of a mental model of it because while \
they may see the module they choose from the search results in the right pane of the \
main window, they don't see where the module fits in the Control Center hierarchy \
because the left hand pane is taken over by the Search controls.

From a usability point of view, it is better to let the user see the big picture when \
using the Help and Search functions.

> > Patch #5
> > ------
> >
> > Display a list of the modules under a category when a category is
> > selected. This uses a modified AboutWidget that lists the Category and
> > sub-modules when a category is selected. If a category is selected after
> > changes were made to a module, the standard message box pops up to let
> > the user accept or forget their changes. There is one minor bug with
> > this that I haven't been able to figure out which has to do with
> > resizing the AboutWidget when a category is selected. If a category is
> > selected after a module, then the resizing is correct. If a category is
> > selected on startup or after another category, there is a resizing
> > problem. However, resizing kcontrol as a whole by dragging an edge
> > causes a proper resize.
>
> Hmm... I actually think this is a good idea, however what happens when a module
> that belongs in that category gets loaded ?  Does it display its own info ? One of \
> the most important things missing from the control panel is an explanation of a \
> particular module directly in the display area.  This was replaced with the help \
> TAB, but IMHO that is not intuitive for the end-user.

Something like this was proposed earlier on the KDE-look group. It was felt that the \
best thing to do when a module is selected is to display the module itself rather \
than a description of the module.

Cheers,

Tom

--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail