List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2beta1
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-03-28 11:41:54

> > The other one (lpdunix) is a generic lp/lpr plugin that provide the same
> > support as Qt printing. This plugin won't provide any printer management,
> > but will allow to print on any system using either lp or lpr. It can be used
> > as a "default" plugin. It currently supports: Linux/LPR, Solaris, HP-UX
> > and IRIX-6.x. I'm missing informations for LPRng and AIX systems. I
> > made a request on the kde-devel list, but didnt' any answer.
> > This generic plugin has been commited yesterday, so it needs testing on
> > various supported systems. But it works for Linux/LPR.
>
> This sounds good. Does that mean that all KDE apps should be ported
> to use KPrinter instead of QPrinter now ? A powerful printing framework
> is a bit useless if no application uses it ;-)

This generic lp plugin is made to provide at least the same features as in Qt,
This means: the same supported print systems, as well as the same printing
options (actually, color mode and page size). So using the new print architecture
with this generic plugin should be the same as using the normal Qt mechanism,
on a feature point of view. Of course using a more specialized plugin (like the
CUPS plugin) provides also printer management and a wider control on print
options.
But before porting, it should be extensively tested on various systems. I didn't
hear yet of any developer who tested the new print framework.
Furthermore, AIX and LPRng are still not supported, as I don't have the needed
informations.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM