On Monday 26 March 2001 16:18, Stefan Westerfeld wrote: [anip] > > The only technical problem I see right now is for the > > DCOPServer to safely detect when a client goes down. I hope this is > > solvable, if not by adding something to ORBit. I haven't checked this > > yet. > > MCOP has distributed reference couting for this. All objects need to be > referenced to be used. MCOP removes the references to objects once a client > dies (it can detect this easily, as the socket will produce an error, > then). > > CORBA by definition doesn't allow you to solve it that way, because it > allows clients to dynamically build up the TCP connection as needed. But > well, there might be a workaround (which then might not be CORBA standard, > but if it works). I'm aware of the fact that standard CORBA cannot do that. So it boils down whether our friends at Gnome have a solution for this ( I mean, they must solve it _somehow_). Currently I don't even know whether ORBit uses persitent connections or closes them after some timeout. For DCOP semantics we definitely need a way to reliably detect when a client dissappears, even with kill -9. A workaround would be to open another socket connection to the dcopserver just for the sake of watching it. Matthias