List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Future of DCOP
From:       Cullmann Christoph <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2001-03-26 12:07:26

Am Montag, 26. März 2001 13:50 schrieb Matthias Ettrich:
> I've done some thinking about DCOP recently, under the lights of the
> ongoing problems with libICE on platforms other than Linux and the fact
> that it's unmaintained.
>
> Thinking about alternatives, there are really just two options, ORBit and
> MCOP.
>
> Given that MCOP is meant for multimedia and that we eventually will have to
> or want to utilize ORBit anyway in the future for all kinds of desktop
> cooperation (accessability, session management (XSMP over ORBit rather than
> ICE), network directory services, ...), I'd like to evaluate porting DCOP
> over to ORBit as underlying communication layer.
>
> DCOP is a nifty ipc solution based on standard X11 and libICE is definitely
> fixable.  But I really care more about semantics and ease of use than the
> binary format on the network. Replacing libICE with ORBit should be
> straight forward - almost. The only technical problem I see right now is
> for the DCOPServer to safely detect when a client goes down. I hope this is
> solvable, if not by adding something to ORBit. I haven't checked this yet.
>
> Opinions, flames, suggestions?
>

> Matthias

Hi,
I have used sometime ago GNOME gnorba stuff (using ORBit) and I see no
problems in the speed sector, ORBit is really a fast orb - > good replacement.
Using ORBit seems to be a good idea, because GNOME uses it too (why there
should be 2 implementations of the same thing).

IMHO your idea seems to be great :)

cu
Christoph