List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE printing stuff update
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-03-22 8:55:16

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago, I introduced a new printing framework for KDE, with
the main feature being to be able to support several printing systems. Since
yesterday, a new version is available on CVS, main changes are summarized
below.

1) Plugin architecture
The code structure is now based on plugin mechanism. A core library define
a framework, and the real printing job is done in dynamically loaded plugins.
There's no dependency problem anymore.

2) KPrinter class compatible with Qt mechanism
One a the major drawback of the previous code, was that the KPrinter object was
a singleton created by a factory. This has been changed. The factory is hidden
and the KPrinter class can be used exactly as QPrinter class. So the porting
effort should reduce to replacing 'Q' by 'K'.

3) New printer management tool
As I explained in previous mails, I extended the printing stuff to the development
of a generic printer management tool. This tool has the form of a KControl module
whose GUI is similar to KUPS. This tool allows to list, add, remove, configure, ...
printers. Add operation is made through a powerful and easy-to-use wizard.
Modules (management, and print system selection) are now installed in "System"
section.

4) Library splitting
The library has been split into a core part and a management part. Applications
need only to be linked against core library. This has been done to reduce startup
time of applications.

Beside those changes, here are the main features of the print system (as a
reminder):
    - supports several underlying print systems: at this time, only a complete CUPS
        plugin, and a basic (no management) Linux/LPR plugin exist.
    - preview mechanism
    - possibility to add application-specific options to the print dialog (see "helpviewer"
        example).
    - complete control of the printer settings (if possible for the underlying print system)
    - user-friendly interface

And finally, some requests:
    - I'm looking for people who are willing to develop plugins for existing systems,
        like HP-UX, Solaris, GNUlpr, ...
    - The library provide a set of icons (portrait, landscape, duplex, ...), that certainly
        can be improved. These icons were taken from a M$ driver for PS printer. So
        if any artworker could take a look at it...
    - Comments from developers: as porting is easy, maybe KDE developers could
        at least take a look at it, try it, and send me comments, tell me what's wrong
        or good, or whatever. There are also test programs in "kdelibs/kdeprint/tests".

Thanks.
Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM