List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QPushButton problem with KDE styles
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-03-20 22:43:59

On Tuesday 20 March 2001 21:32, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Thanks for bringing that up. The solution is simple: change the
> drawPushButton button functions in the KDE styles according to what the Qt
> styles do (have a look at qwindowsstyle.cpp, for example).

I now have a preliminary version working for the Highcolor style. I have one
question and one remark though.

The question: can I make the margin between the button border and the pixmap
any arbitrary size that looks best for the given style, or should I stick
with the 4-pixel margin that the Qt styles use (at least those that I looked
at)? Especially for the Highcolor style more than 4 pixels looks nicer, but
I'm not sure whether that has side effects on size hints and such.

And the remark: I don't know who wrote the original Highcolor version, but
there was a bug in the code. The code  'x1 + act ? 1 : 0' is evaluated as
'(x1 + act) ? 1 : 0' and not as the (in this case expected and required) 'x1
+ (act ? 1 : 0)'. I hope this actually was a typo and in the original code
the end result was the same, so nobody noticed until now. Nevertheless, I
think it doesn't hurt to mention this (potential) pitfall with the C++
operator precedence order here.

I'm not advocating my own coding style here as I tend to use too much
brackets (just to make sure and too lazy to test if they're really needed),
but too less as in this case isn't good either. Also, please don't take this
as a flame, but learn from this experience as much as I (hopefully) do from
my own mistakes.

Regards,

Martijn