List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    QPushButton problem with KDE styles
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-03-20 16:34:14

I was trying to create a QPushButton with a QIconSet and a caption and I
encountered a weird problem. Most KDE styles don't seem to support the icon
set. They just leave it end, so I end up with a pixmap-less button.

I really like buttons with both icons and text, as they are often more clear.
Somehow the human eye seems to recognize icons faster than text, at least for
me, that is.

It's not a bug in my application, a plain Qt app works well. After some
testing I found that _ALL_ Qt's styles support this feature, but only _ONE_
KDE style supports it.

The following styles support a QIconSet in a QPushButton:
- default
- qtcde
- qtmotifplus
- qtsgi
- ksgistyle
- qtmotif
- qtplatinum
- qtwindows

Quite a lot, but none of them are used very often. The ones that are, don't
support it:
- b3
- highcolor
- kstep
- system
- marble
- systemalt
None of these shows the icons.

Is there a reason for this? If not, is it possible to change the styles to
support icon sets? If someone tells me how to do so, I'm willing to do this
myself. I haven't looked at the code yet though as I'm somehow afraid there's
a special reason for this particular (mis)behaviour.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Martijn