List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Can we drop KWrite ?
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-03-13 23:08:37

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 22:37, Scott Manson wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2001 03:40 pm, shaheed wrote:
> > > I know some distribution that did export EDITOR=kedit in their startup
> > > scripts... keeping kedit as a small, lightweight editor would be a good
> > > idea. Did anyone ever talk about removing kedit?
> >
> > I suggested it several notes back :-). I don't see the point in having
> > two text editors. Its just bloat-to-be-maintained.
>
> Yes but the 2 "texteditors" are used for 2 different purposes. KEdit is the
> windows equivalent of notepad and KWrite/Kant is closer to the windows
> equivalent WordPad, while KWord is like MSWrite.
> <sarcastic mode on>
> Lets just import the KWord sources into CVS as IMHO it's the most robust of
> all the "texteditors".
> <sarcastic mode off>

You missed my point. What's so great about having two text editors at the
kedit/kwrite level, both of which must be maintained (one in the heart of
kde, one in kdeutils)? I don't think that kwrite (or kant, for that matter)
are beyond the ken of Joe-Wordpad user to master.

FWIW, kedit starts up consistently in about 2 seconds on my system, while
kwrite starts up in about 1.5 and kant in just over 2 while dumping a whole
lot of debug info (note: unscientifically measured).

And, sarcasm aside, your point about Kword is just a red herring, right?