List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Can we drop KWrite ?
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-03-13 20:08:35

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 20:02, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2001 05:58, Cullmann Christoph wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > little question, are there any arguments against dropping KWrite which
> > don't be like "MDI sucks" or so ;) ?
> > The DCOP interface of the kantviews is the same as for the old kwrite
> > views ! The Kantpart should have all functions old kwrite part had.
>
> There must be a kwrite part as well for binary compatibility reasons.

Sounds like we can phase out KWrite then by not enhancing/using it any more
and just maintaining it for the remaining life span of KDE 2.x.
If possible at all I vote for renaming the Kant executable to KWrite (I guess
only the part has BC problems and doesn't rely on the executable, so that
name is available) or remove the KWrite executable from 2.2 to remove
confusion from the user.

If Kant is source compatible to KWrite I even would change the KWrite part
headers to use the Kant part internally using some #defines so that the
Kwrite part is really only used for compatibility reasons.

My only concern is that Kant follows the same direction that the other great
KDE apps went - slow startup. Like Stephan points out, KHelpCenter is really
great, but starts too slow IMHO. And KWrite is already kinda sluggish on
either). KEdit was the best lightweight editor for KDE anyway. I fear that
not having a really lightweight editor is a miss for KDE. I don't expect to
need it often, but not having such a thing at all? I have my doubts.

Martijn