List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Can we drop KWrite ?
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-03-13 7:51:30

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 08:38, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2001 11:27 pm, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Unfortunately reality has prooven both of you wrong.
> > People want tabbed MDI. People want Emacs-Style-MDI. Some People
> > want SDI.
>
> Some people even want Windows.  Fortunately, KDE isn't in a popularity
> contest. :-)  (yes, I know that one sentence has the potential to start a
> 50-message thread.. so let's argue that only after we finish this one)

There is at least one example where Torsten is right : the "pseudo tabbed"
MDI style which konsole uses. When I first saw it I really thought it was a
cool idea, and I've read several times comments from users on various news
sites (slashdot, linuxfr) who were in agreement.

Forget the style guide. Reality shows that MDI has its uses and can be more
practical than SDI in more than a few cases. If the style guide doesn't agree
with that then it should be revised.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org