List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc.  ...)
From:       Michael Jarrett <yoamwmvs () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2001-03-12 19:10:11

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> As a matter of fact there is an issue that currently makes kde a
> less-consistent desktop as well as a less-rapidly-evolving-desktop than it
> could be. The following apps show it quite well:
<snip>

I agree. Some interfaces are rather painful as SDI - ksirc I find
difficult to use in particular with the way it handles server windows
and such. Konqueror on the other hand I much prefer as an SDI.

Perhaps a good approach is to make the changes in KUniqueApplication
(which I presume most apps that would need to make this sort of decision
would use), and give it the ability, somewhat like ark does internally,
to manage lists of open documents, and make it responsible for creating
the application widgets, be they swallowed into a tabbed widget, shown
as separate windows, or whatever systems the look-n'-feel buffs think
are nice.

Michael Jarrett
michaelj@corel.com
--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail