List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP problem again?
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-12 17:18:38

On Monday 12 March 2001 16:00, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mär 2001, Richard Moore wrote:
> > when I launch the various KDE apps (kwin, kicker etc.) by hand,
> > but when they're run from startkde nothing works except ksplash.
> > Looking with ldd, it looks like things are linking the right libs
> > etc. This is really pissing me off. :-(
>
> Well, I use plain 7.1 as well. what error message do you get ? or what is
> happening ?

I get a grey screen with kspash and the startup sound, but nothing else.
The oddest thing is that running the apps manually is fine, this makes me
suspect a problem with kdeinit or DCOP.

I've installed in /usr/local/qt2 and /usr/local/kde2 and used a symlink to
point /opt/kde2 to the correct installation. I've also set the
WINDOWMANAGER env variable to /usr/local/kde2/bin/startkde (I also
tried using the SuSE supplied one in /usr/X11R6/bin/kde).

> you're using CVS HEAD ?

Yeah, as I said HEAD from yesterday. My update script logged the time as
Sun Mar 11 19:02:51 GMT 2001. I updated and rebuilt qt-copy at the same
time.

> .X.err says ?

I've attached the output. The session starts and ksplash appears, but
ultimately all I see is a grey screen. In the end I ctrl-alt-backspace to
kill the X server.

It's been suggested it might be Xft related, so I'm going to try rebuilding
Qt with no Xft support.

Cheers

Rich.

> Dirk