List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Three separate discussions about mouse pointers on three different lists
From:       Christian A =?iso-8859-13?q?Str=B8mmen=20=5BNumber1=2FNumeroUno=5D?= <number1 () re
Date:       2001-03-08 1:45:29

I'm now starting to seriously wonder if I'm the only person in the whole
world that's subscribed to these three lists (kde-devel, kde-core-devel,
kde-look), 'cause each of them are having discussions about mousepointers,
without the discussions being related at all.

Situation: X only allows two-colored mouse pointers (xsetroot has
possibilites of having mouse pointers with many colors though)
Problem: Most people (no, I'm not talking about the coders, you're the
minority) hate the black cursor that X uses.
Solution: kde-look had an interesting solution to this, something that
probably will work (don't complain about cpu/memory usage for these reasons:
1. if you don't want it, then don't enable it. 2. it's a freakin mouse
pointer, it DOESN'T take up that much memory), to make it easy I've pasted
the mail with the solution below:

<snap>
You know those toy programs that have a "cat" chase the "mouse"
cursor?  Well, what if you created a program that removed the real
cursor and just "followed" the pointer around by always being directly
on top of it.  If you had a fast enough machine, there shouldn't be
all that much lag.

Because the "cursor" would be a separate program, you could make it
any size or shape you wanted.
<snap>

some followups:
<snap>
Yeah, we could port the swarm screensaver to chase your mouse!
--
Actually, that's a really clever suggestion!  Not just for color and
animation, but for some more mundane uses such as magnification of the mouse

So, if everybody interested in this take the journey over to kde-devel (I
believe that's the most appropriate place for this..?), there's a chance that
we could make this.

/me is getting tired of hearing about the ugly mouse pointer in XFree/kde the
last 3-4 years...

Let's fix this people!  Anybody up for the job?

--
\ Christian A Str¸mmen /
\ Number1/NumeroUno @ Undernet - Email: number1@realityx.net /