List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: base64 codec required before KIO
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-07 22:35:23

On Wednesday 07 March 2001 17:25, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2001 22:18, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > This would completely defeat the purpose of me creating kmdcodec.*.  I
> > wanted to remove all this unnecessary duplication as much as possible.
> > The ironic thing is that when the issue of where the kmdcodec class
> > should be placed, I could not come up with a single example of where it
> > would be needed outside of KIO though I was advocating for it to be put
> > into kdecore :(
> >
> > > (it's only internal to one class)  Anyone have a better solution?
> >
> > My suggestion here is to do what I wanted to do initially and move the
> > kmdcodec stuff into kdecore and make it build a standalone library
> > (libkmdcodec).  kmdcodec does not depend on anything except qt and
> > temporarily kdebug (which can be removed) and the resulting library is
> > very small ~18K IIRC.  Anyways, I think this would be the best course,
> > but someone, I guess David :) has to move the stuff from kio into kdecore
> > so that we won't loose the logs.
> >
> > > Actually I will probably use this for storing personal certificates in
> > > the future as well.
> >
> > The more reason why this library should be moved into kdecore then :)
>
> Why not move this code to libkssl instead ? It would still be available in
> KIO (since it links kssl), and in all apps that link KIO, as well as in
> those who link KSSL (control modules etc.).

  Because libkssl takes too much ram for most parts to link to it.  Also
because if a new component is added to kdelibs above libkssl which wants to
.. say store binary data in KConfig or something like that, then it will have
the same problem.  And I guess finally because if it's in kdecore then
classes like KConfig could be extended internally to store binary data using
the base64 routines.

> I don't think that kteatime or kmoon really need the mdcodec stuff :)
>
> Granted, it's not related to SSL itself... Well, just like kpropsdlg isn't
> part of a file dialog but is in libkfile :)

   It could be compiled as a secondary library inside kdecore....  That way
kmoon won't link to it.

--

George Staikos