List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: fun with uic
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-03-07 18:35:42

On Wednesday 07 March 2001 19:04, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:29:44PM +0100, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > long as the KDE widgets are not used or specified as custom widgets, so a
> > uic/designer that does not link to KDE can grok the files. I can't see
> > any problem if that is done in kdelibs too, a non-KDE uic will always be
> > available as kdelibs requires a working Qt, no?
>
> kdelibs require a working qt, uic requires working kdelibs (when compiled
> with -kde). So if you use -kde, you have to build qt, then kdelibs, then
> qt/tools/designer, then the other kde-packages.
>
> This won't work if kdelibs already require a uic.

Well, if I understand Malte correctly he means that Qt can build a perfectly
valid uic as long as the -kde option is not given to Qt. And that
automatically implies that kdelibs can use the Qt-only uic version.

It also means that KDE-only widgets that are not in Qt cannot be used in the
.ui files in kdelibs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I read the things as they were posted to the
list.

Besides, I fully agree with Cristian that using hand-coded dialogs is indeed
'old-fashioned' and shouldn't really be done when not really needed.
So if uic cannot be made to work there should be some other solution IMHO;
not using uic is not the solution here if you ask me.

I wonder BTW if some dependency problems can't be solved by splitting kdelibs
in two pieces. From the uic Makefile it only needs libkdecore and libkdeui
and from the kdelibs top-level Makefile it seems like libkdecore and libkdeui
only need dcop and libltdl. Somehow I have the feeling that those should be
available for a separate build, after which uic can be built and the rest of
kdelibs can be compiled.

A special make-target 'make kdelibs-minimal' and 'make
kdelibs-minimal-install', would that be a solution or rather even worse?

Regards,

Martijn