List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP problems here, too
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-06 22:06:32

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 11:22, David Faure wrote:
> > > No, I think the only solution is to allow simultaneous DCOP calls
> > > (i.e. re-entrancy at the ICE level).
> >
> > There is a way to fix it on the dcop level. But this means that calls in
> > a situation when the client already is in a call will simply return with
> > an error.
>
> Certainly better than hanging, but not as good as real re-entrancy.
> Most apps don't check for error codes from dcop calls - and wouldn't know
> what to do in that case anyway (KRun would, obviously)... Very ugly
> solution.

I would guess that this is the famous libICE reentrancy problem that I fixed
in libICE. We can put our own libICE in kdesupport and use that instead of
the one provided by the system, but that would mean that Qt has to link to
that one as well. The other option is put a renamed version of libICE in
there. I'm not a big fan of that, but if that's what it takes, so be it.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com