List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal) [NOTE: 2.2 != 2.1.1]
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-05 5:21:38

On Sunday 04 March 2001 18:58, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > The 2.2 release, unlike the 2.1.1 release, will come with new
> > functionality and improvements in many areas of KDE.
> >
> > We aim for the following improvements among others:
> > * Better printing framework.
> > * IMAP support in kmail
> > * New koffice release.
>
> Question: should the IPv6 code be included?

Yes, as soon as possible so that we have as long as possible to find any
problems with it.

> I've been working on it for the past few months and it is quite stable
> for me, even on a mixed KDE 2.0 with 2.1 kdelibs environment.
>
> However, that's only for me. I have had no reports whatsoever of anyone
> actually trying my patches, even though I know half a dozen people
> downloaded it (Apache logs). So I don't know how well it works or what
> breaks outside my system.

I have been running with your patches for a while and didn't encounter any
problems with it. I only use IPv4 though.

> And the reason I'm asking: the introduction of this new code so deep in
> the library core makes the whole thing alpha stage again, since we rely
> on sockets heavily.
>
> So, my suggestion: the code is integrated into the sources, but it won't
> be enabled by default for 2.2. Or 2.2 beta 1 at least. It would be
> #ifdef'ed out.

I rather just put it in. If it is ifdef'ed out, nobody is going to use it.

> Here is a patch against today's CVS:
> http://loki.nw.com.br/development/kde-ipv6-20010304.diff

I'll apply them.

Cheers,