List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker and KPopupMenu
From:       Matthias Elter <elter () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-03-02 10:08:12

On Thursday 01 March 2001 19:42, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> I am currently trying to make the popup menus in kicker a little more
> intuitive in several ways, like changing some descriptions, making them
> more context sensitive and making some menus available in other places as
> well.
>
> One of the changes I did as well is a change from QPopupMenu to KPopupMenu
> with a title in most menus to make them more clearly show the object that
> the menu applies to (apart from also being nicer IMHO and being more
> consistent with 99% of the dock apps). I had almost committed this change
> right away until I learned on the IRC channel that Matthias doesn't like
> KPopupMenu at all, so it would be useless for me to commit such a change to
> kicker.

KPopupMenu's titles are not color scheme aware. I think we should get rid of
KPopupMenu or fix it. As I don't like the idea of menu titles in general, I
wont fix it so it's up to you if you want to use it.

> As a compromise I decided to make it configurable, so anyone can choose
> whatever he/she likes. And exactly this leaves me with two questions that I
> can't answer myself:

Please don't. This really is a useless configuration option. If you want to
hack kicker then you could for example make tooltips configurable. But tell
me about it because it is on my todo, too.

> Note that I have not yet committed anything of the above patch at all.
> After the earlier mentioned chat I decided to postpone that till I know for
> sure I'm doing the right thing. Upon request I'll send the patch here or
> personally and/or commit the current version for review, but it is a
> combined patch (with other changes) that spans several files which makes it
> quite big to send here right away.

Can you send me the patch? :-)

Matthias