List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [otaylor@redhat.com: .desktop files and encodings]
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-28 21:49:18

David Faure wrote:

> I know. I said that KDE didn't support it at the moment.
> All encoding considerations aside, KDE wouldn't do anything from a
> Name[de_DE] entry, AFAIK. But I expect input from Stephan Kulow about this
> (whether it's already supported, and whether we should add support for it).
KDE ignores language settings it doesn't have a translation for. So an
application only translated to 'de' won't be able to read de_DE entries
even if the user set LANG to de_DE. We have the l10n files for everything
that change from country to country with the same language, but we could
very well support that too - with some hassle in KConfig

> To conclude, I think that we can add Encoding=UTF-8 in KDE to help
> with encoding-determination, but this whole encoding mess might not be
> a good idea for the SPEC, especially since we all know that the future
> is UTF-8.
I'd agree.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Teigwaren heissen Teigwaren, weil sie Teig waren * J. v. d. Lippe
MFCH