List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kmidi -> libkmid?
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-02-28 20:46:18

   Hi!

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:26:41PM +0100, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> Should the kmidi (timidity) engine be added to libkmid?
> Primary advantage: games etc. using libkmid for sound output will work on
> soundcards that don't provide a /dev/sequencer (seems to be the case for
> most modern soundcards, unfortunately)
> Disadvantage: libkmid gets bigger...

I wouldn't do it like that, but rather write a timidity aRts module, and,
if compatibility requires that, a way to make libkmid talk to aRts as backend,
rather than directly using OSS/ALSA. There is existing infrastructure for
aRts and midi in kdemultimedia/arts/midi (especially the idl file), and
it shouldn't be too hard to make timidity an aRts midi object.

Doing it that way has the additional advantage, that not only games but also
sequencing applications like Brahms or artstracker would benefit from the
change. This also works the other way round, i.e. games can use aRts effects
and combine them with synthetic or timidity style midi.

Oh yes, and it would be network transparent, and all that stuff.

I think it's the right thing to do ;-).

   Cu... Stefan