List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New KDE printing system
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-02-28 15:32:04

> > Actually the factory is (will be) used to create other objects as well, like
> > job lister, printer manager, UI manager (those are objects defined in the
> > printing management tool I'm developing).
>
> Ok. Then I take back my suggestion to hide it completely. But your
> initial description was:

This is work in progress. There's still a lot of things to implement... I described
here the basic use a developer should know about to be able to use the library.

> The "DO NOT delete" warning indicates that the API is tricky to use,
> doesn't ?

There's 2 reasons to not delete the KPrinter object:
    - avoid a crash, however this can be solved easily with a few lines of code
    - more importantly, the last configuration is re-used, so the user doesn't
        have to re-configure everything. The selected printer as well as the
        printing options are recovered.

I don't think it is really tricky to write:

KPrinter    *printer = KPrinterFactory::self()->printer();
<do whatever you want with the KPrinter object, except deleting it>;

Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM