List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New KDE printing system
From:       Simon Hausmann <sh () caldera ! de>
Date:       2001-02-28 15:25:33

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 04:03:07PM +0100, Harri Porten wrote:
> > 1.1 KPrinterFactory class
> >
> > This class is used to create KPrinter object (see below). Developers shouldn't
> > construct directly KPrinter object, but use "KPrinterFactory::self()->printer()".
> > The factory takes care of the user settings and construct an object for the
> > appropriate underlying printing system. DO NOT delete the KPrinter object, as
> > it will be reused for other calls.
>
> The "DO NOT delete" warning indicates that the API is tricky to use,
> doesn't ?

IMHO it would be great if this part of the kde printing system would be
consistent with the Qt API: You instantiate a QPrinter object and when
done you delete it again (to not waste memory) . And besides the memory
usage argument it would also make it possible to use KPrinter as direct
dropin replacement for QPrinter, and it would be even possible for
applications which for whatsoever reason have to work with both, the
KDE printing system and the Qt stuff, using #idef's for K vs. QPrinter.

Just a small suggestion, which I believe would make switching easier :-)
(well, making it a no-brainer ;-)

Other than that your stuff is really great!

Bye,
 Simon