List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Again: Kdict?
From:       Christian Gebauer <gebauer () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2001-02-26 9:53:31

Frerich Raabe wrote:

> On Monday 26 February 2001 01:29, Christian Gebauer wrote:
> > Frerich Raabe wrote:

> > > ksirc works with a local IRC server too, korn hopefully works with a
> > > local POP3 server. Still, those two (and others which would run with
> > > local servers) are in kdenetwork.
> >
> > And many people use KNode with a local server like leafnode. But the point
> > of a mail- or newsreader is to communicate with other people, so the local
> > server only acts as a proxy.
>
> Yes, but I'm not quite sure whether many users will download the relatively
> hugh databases for local use.
>
> > > I think kdict should go into kdenetwork because it's way
> > > more useful if used with an internet connection (just like knewsticker
> > > would be rather boring with local RDF files).
> >
> > Its easier to use the public dict.org server because you don't have to
> > setup the daemon and you don't have to download 20-40 MB of data files.
> > On the other side you can install uncommon databases of your choice on
> > your private server and you will get excellent performance.
>
> I dare to claim that the most users will use this as an online tool, just
> like many other apps which query databases (as centralized databases are
> obviously a Good Thing(tm) in this context). If I would download kdeutils I
> would probably expect some more or less nifty tools which would generally
> make things easier but don't require much more than a running KDE desktop.
>
> kdenetwork in turn should contain tiny tools (like KNewsTicker) as well as
> full featured applications (KMail, KNode, you name it) which will probably
> much more usable to most users if used with a functional online connection.

Ok, I was under the impression that kdenetwork was about "communication" and
utilities to administer a network connection like kppp. These doesn't seem
to be the common definition, so I wont argue against it.

BTW: why is a tool like "kdessh" in kdeutils??

> > The main difference to RDFs is that the dict-databases are typically
> > very static data, for example the webster's dictionary is from 1913 ;-)
>
> Wow! :-)

;-) It is still used because it it the only english dictionary besides wordnet
that is available as public-domain.

So, if nobody objects, I will put Kdict into kdenetwork in the evening.

Greetings
Christian