List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Again: Kdict?
From:       Christian Gebauer <gebauer () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2001-02-25 23:01:37

Frerich Raabe wrote:

> On Sunday 25 February 2001 22:57, David Faure wrote:

> > > Looks very cool, a great reinforcement for kdenetwork IMHO.
> >
> > If it works locally too, then it's not really related to networks per se.
> > I would rather see that one in kdeutils, no ?
>
> ksirc works with a local IRC server too, korn hopefully works with a local
> POP3 server. Still, those two (and others which would run with local servers)
> are in kdenetwork.
And many people use KNode with a local server like leafnode. But the point
of a mail- or newsreader is to communicate with other people, so the local
server only acts as a proxy.

> I think kdict should go into kdenetwork because it's way
> more useful if used with an internet connection (just like knewsticker would
> be rather boring with local RDF files).
Its easier to use the public dict.org server because you don't have to
setup the daemon and you don't have to download 20-40 MB of data files.
On the other side you can install uncommon databases of your choice on
your private server and you will get excellent performance.

The main difference to RDFs is that the dict-databases are typically
very static data, for example the webster's dictionary is from 1913 ;-)

Greetings
Christian