List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Deamons with Qt?
From:       Mirko Boehm <mirko.boehm () home ! com>
Date:       2001-02-25 12:23:22

Richard Moore wrote:

> Mirko Boehm wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> does anyone know if there are any reference projects using Qt inside of
>> deamon programs? I would like to communicate with QSockets and
>> QDataStreams between a regular KDE program and a process running on a
>> server without GUI.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Look at kded etc. IIRC basically you use the GUIenabled argument
> to QApplication and avoid anything that relies on an event loop
> existing eg. I'd say QSocket probably won't work as there is
> no event loop to trigger the QSocketNotifiers, but you should
> be ok with using QDataStreams and your own select() call.

That is exactly the problem I had, I have already checked out kded and
dcopserver.
You either need to have a X Server running to have an event loop, or you
may have a QApplication, but only that parts of Qt work that do not rely
on the event loop.
This limits Qt's fitness for deamons, since it would be a great deal to
be able to use the sam eIO device classes (for example) your client
programs use.

Thanks anyway,
--Mirko.

--