List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What happens after 2.1 ?
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-02-22 19:12:44

Matthias Elter <elter@trolltech.com> wrote:
> > Well, there is a reason that the we did the upgrade to a new major Qt
> > version and a new major KDE version at the same time: both break BC and we
> > really don't want to do that if we don't really have to.
>
> Of course 2.3 will be binary incompatible to both 2.2 and 3.0. But it will
> make Qt3 features (like support for arabic and hebrew) available to users
> very soon. We can explicitely mention that the 2.3 platform is temporary and

Another option: Maybe there is no rush to break BC after KDE 2.3 and
it can be postponed until much later?  The KDE 2.x seems solid and can
probably go very far without intentionally breaking BC.

> discourage third party developers to base apps on it.

Hmmm, better consider things a bit more before doing that...  Most
developers will be working with KDE 2.3 on their desktop at that
point.  Telling them not to develop apps for KDE 2.3 would be telling
them not to develop apps for KDE.

Either way, I hope a new major KDE version does not take the
tremendous amount of time it took last time.  KDE 1.x was all but
abandoned by developers and therefore many of our users (in favour of
H**** G****) in the interim.

-N.