List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What happens after 2.1 ?
From:       Matthias Elter <elter () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-02-22 10:28:05

On Thursday 22 February 2001 13:09, Lars Knoll wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2001 20:33, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > The other question is, what will be the next release after 2.1.1? Will
> > > we have a 2.2 (much the same thing as 2.1 is to 2.0 - fixes and extra
> > > features, same API, ...), or go for 3.0 right away (on a side note, any
> > > ideas when Qt 3.0 will be released, since we'll probably want to use
> > > that for KDE 3.0?)?
> >
> > 2.2 I don't see a strong need for either Qt 3.0 or KDE 3.0. Especially
> > with the rich text widget backported to Qt 2.2 I think we should continue
> > the KDE 2.x series for a while.
>
> There is one strong reason for using Qt-3 as soon as it's ready. Support
> for arabic and hebrew in KDE. This is something we won't get without using
> Qt-3, and could be a point where we get significantly ahead of competition
> (if the move to Gtk-2 goes as slow as it currently seems). As a sideeffect
> all the current charset mess will fall away and make it much easier for
> developers to write apps that really work with eg. asian languages.
>
> My proposal would be to continue towards 2.2 which would probably come out
> at the same time Qt-3 goes final, and then move to Qt-3 as fast as
> possible. Maybe we can actually get KDE compiled against Qt-3 with a few
> #ifdefs. Qt-3 is mostly source compatible to Qt-2.

KDE 2.2 is scheduled for late summer and we would aim for a 2.3 release at
the end of the year. I expect most distributors to have switched to a stable
gcc3 by then. So perhaps a KDE 2.3 thats nothing but 2.2 ported to Qt 3.0
would make sence. I think it is important to not try to do the porting and
the move to a new platform (KDE 3.0) in one step this time. With a ported 2.3
user will profit from the Qt3 features soon while we can take our time to
work on a solid 3.0 release next year.

Ciao,
Matthias